The last couple of days have been a bit of an emotional roller coaster. On Tuesday, I sent Mason to Mother's Day Out so I could get back to work and catch up on things. When I picked him up they said he didn't have a good day and actually tripped and fell and was crying about his neck. Eric and I went into a little bit of panic mode since he just wasn't seeming to get any better. I called the doctor on Wednesday morning and requested that we go ahead and start physical therapy as soon as possible. That way, after a few days, if PT wasn't helping at all we could move onto the next thing to try to figure this out. When the Dr. called back he actually recommended that we go back to Vanderbilt for a Bone Scan.
It was at the end of the day on Wednesday when I was speaking to the nurse about preparation for the scan the next day. Mason and I happened to be in the mall, so I stopped at the indoor play area to let him play while I took down some notes from the nurse. As she is telling me that he will be sedated..again.. and will have to get an IV...again.. I am watching Mason tear up the playground. He was going down the slide, under tunnels, climbing up and down off the bridge. While still a little stiff, his neck movement had definitely improved. His appointment for the scan wasn't until 4:00pm today (Thursday) so I decided to observe him and make my decision this morning. I really made it earlier than that.
Last night Eric took Mason's head and moved it in the down motion and he didn't cry at all..in fact he kept a smile on his face the whole time. I called this morning and cancelled the scan with a confident feeling that he is finally improving!! I sent him to school today and they said he did much better. His neck is slightly stiff but his personality is back to normal and it's not even really all that noticeable anymore. No diagnosis was ever made but most of the specialist we talked to in the end say it was most likely a pretty nasty musculoskeletal spasm. A diagnosis doesn't really seem important anymore now that my baby is better. However, I do believe it definitely could have been more serious than that had we not had the unbelievable amount of prayers being lifted up for Mason. This has been a very scary 2 weeks for us but your prayers and encouragement have meant the world to us. Thank you!